Caroline Josephs Storytelling Performances, Presentations and Workshops
* April 2013 storytelling (with Laura Simms, storyteller extraordinaire and Tibetan Buddhist teacher)
in Greenwich Village, New York City.
* Three presentations of original poetry at ‘A Word in Hand’ in ‘A Friend in Hand’ pub in Glebe
* Presentation at the Mollongghip Poetry Slam (Victoria).
* Storytelling in Greenwich Village-for community activists -story as community building and activism.
* Walking Country, Creating Country - Art and Indigenous Australians, storytelling and presentation, Matisse
workshops, Rhodes, Sydney
* Walking Country with Indigenous Australians, storytelling and presentation, Greenwich Village, New York
City. Including Australian Indigenous Art, and own artwork inspired by experiences in country with Indigenous
* Storytelling -- Experiences in Country with Australian Aborigines, Talk on Aboriginal artwork and
influences on own artwork, National Art School, Darlinghurst, Sydney.
* Organised, compered, and told stories for Emergence, Art Exhibition, Mary Place Gallery, Paddington, Sydney.
Twelve performers responded to CJ’s artwork in dance, song, music, poetry, comedy, storytelling.
* ’How Indigenous Australian Oral Storytelling can Sustain Mother Earth’, (storytelling and
presentation), Wild Law and Earth Jurisprudence: Human Rights of Mother Earth, International Conference,
Law Faculty, Wollongong University, NSW.
* Two Fires Festival….Braidwood - Weaving storytellings with Dulumunmun, Aboriginal Elder -- with
workshop of 50 people, walking riverbank.
* Walking Country with Aboriginal Elder, Introducing a group to Elder’s stories in country, Storytellings
with Dulumunmun - Bundeena.
* Walking Country, Creating Country…story and image weekend workshop in Royal National Park,
Facilitating creative workshop in book-making, mark-making, word arising from walk.
April, June, July, November
* Storytelling soirées with group of storytellers.
* Walking Country with Dulumunmun, Elder in Royal National Park.
* Walking, camping With Arrente and other Aboriginal people in Central Australia - Haast’s Bluff,
* Designed and facilitated a 'Storytelling, Image, Poetry, Book-making' weekend workshop on artist’s property
south of Sydney.
* Organised, and participated in weekend camp with Aboriginal Elder in National Park south of Sydney.
* ‘D/Jew on the Mountain -- in Indigenous Country’ Presentation/storytelling at Temple Emanuel for
* Presentation for Theosophists’ Society: A Sacred Place to Dwell…through Storytelling - Indigenous
* Walk into country with Aboriginal Elder, Uncle Max (Dulumunmun).
* Designing and Leading Walking Country, Creating Country - Image, Word, Story, Book-making
Weekend creative workshop on artist property, south of Sydney.
* Designed and led a storytelling weekend workshop on artist’s property south of Sydney. Included storytelling,
creative image and word work, especially with one story The White Bear Valemon.
* Organised and participated in camp and walk, rituals with Aboriginal Elder to his country south of Sydney.
* Participated in presentation, dialogue between group of Jews and Quakers at Quaker Friends’ House, Sydney.
* Initiated, organised, compered, told stories, Tsunami Relief concert, raising $4000 for Sri Lankan women and
children - included twelve storytellers and singers, Buddhist Library, Tales from the Sea.
* Presented one day of storytellings and workshop at Borderlands Co-operative/Augustine Centre, Melbourne -
Embodying Borderlands: Zen storytelling - The Way of the S/Word, and
Dancing Country - Yolngu Indigenous Australian storytelling.
* Presented talk/storytelling at Sydney Zen Centre : Silence as a Way of Knowing in Zen and Yolngu.
* Paper presented at International Conference at Darling Harbour Sydney - Consequentiality: Ontology,Theology,
Mythology, Silence as a Way of Knowing in Yolngu Australian Indigenous Storytelling.
* Conference paper, University of Queensland - Dis-member-ment from Place, Re-member-ing Home -
on Yolngu storytelling.
* Conference Paper/storytelling for ‘Intersections’ conference, UNSW - Intersections Galore:
Storytelling as Thresholding.
* Public Talk/Storying on Storytelling as Co-creating Community, and weekend of workshops at
Borderlands/Augustine Centre in Melbourne ,
Day One: From Terror to Awe:‘Skeleton Woman’
Day Two: Applying Storytelling in the Workplace.
* Conference Paper with storytelling on action-based emergent methodologies, College of Arts, Education and
Social Sciences, at University of Western Sydney -The Way of the S/Word: the Researcher as Storyteller,
* Conference paper -- Centre for Cross-Cultural Research, Australian National University, Canberra,
Negotiating the Sacred: Sacrilege and Blasphemy in the Arts,
‘Silence as a Way of Knowing in Yolngu Storytelling’.
* Two workshops at Temple Emanuel in Sydney on ‘Ancient Jewish Storytelling, Contemporary Relevance’.
Graduated Ph.D. University of Western Sydney (Epistemology: Sacred Oral Storytelling and Transformation).
* Presented eight half-day storytellings and workshops at Bronte, Sydney.
* Storytelling to group at Terrigal gathering, north of Sydney.
* Storytelling in the bush for women, at Garma Festival, North-east Arnhemland.
* Storytelling and workshop at Catholic Insititute of Counselling, Sydney for 100 Counselling Students,
Dwelling with the Other in their Story, The Rooster Prince.
* Lecture/Storytelling at Sydney Zen Centre.
* Storytelling/ workshop for Sydney Zen Centre: The True Ch’ien.
* Presentation Locations of Spirituality: Experience and Writing the Sacred Conference -
Australian National University, Institute for Cross-Cultural Research, Canberra.
* Paper: Braiding Presentational, Personal, Discursive Modes in Storytelling.
* Program of traditional and personal stories: From Japanese Zen to Aussie Zen: Stories along the Way .
public audience of 100 people at the New South Wales Art Gallery, in conjunction with The Radiant Buddha
exhibition, January. (Video available).
* Who is the True Ch'ien? Zen Story Workshop at Sydney Zen centre.
* Talk: The Three Bodies of the Buddha and Ch'ien Sydney Zen Centre.
* Storytelling at Professional Storytellers' Soirees variety of traditional stories for groups of storytellers
* In Religion Literature and the Arts Conference, Sydney University,
Turning Terror to Awe: Skeleton Woman - Storytelling from a Cold Climate.
* Independent Scholars’ Association of Australia Conference, Canberra, Out of Place -- the Diasporic Experience’:
Ancestral Beings are Stories - Dis-member-ment and Re-membering.
* One-day creative workshop and storytellings, Buddhist Library Sydney, : Ancestral Beings are Stories --
Buddhist and Aboriginal Storytelling - Story as Dream, Story as Koan.
* Performing Ensemble -- set up ensemble of six musicians, dancers, storytellers and writers; worked together
over eight days of improvisational rehearsal, performed for audience, using sound, movement, chorus, and
* Designed and presented a three-day residential workshop on Story and the Second Half of Life. Exploring
change through group participatory methods including discussion, presentation, drawing, drama, story; focus on
generativity, creativity and intimacy.
* Devised and presented an evening of 2 hours of storytelling (with music, dance) for audience of 80 people,
Buddhist Library: A Garland of Stories: Zen Buddhist and Jewish - Stories to Startle,
Delight and Nourish the Soul . Presented as a fundraiser for Sydney Zen Centre .
[video available of the evening].
* Workshop: Ancient Stories for Today -- story workshop Writers' Centre, Sydney.
* Workshop: Bare Bones Storytelling -- "The Bonesetter" -- An experiential workshop for adults at the
Religion Literature & the Arts conference, Sydney University, November.
* Workshops: Story for Women in Transition - A series of 12 workshops based on story and using
different media of expression, including drawing, clay, mask, movement, writing.
* Presentation: "Skeleton Woman" -- ensemble presentation -- group presentation based on improvisation,
movement, sound and personal and traditional storytelling. Inuit story.
* Presented paper: Storytelling and Leadership at the Spirituality, Leadership and Management Conference,
University of Western Sydney.
* Presented workshop on ‘Story and Leadership’ (Solomon’s Wisdom) at the Spirituality, Leadership and
Management Conference, University of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury.
* Presented a Work in Progress storytelling/workshop on Skeleton Woman (Inuit) for doctoral and postgraduate
students at University of Western Sydney.
* ’At the Membrane Between Commercial and Academia, the Sacred and the Profane -
Shhhhh…..Money’ - Paper presentation, Interdisciplinary Conference, University of Auckland, New Zealand,
Metaphor and Narrative across the Disciplines.
* Exhibition Transience - black and white photographs, Sydney Zen Centre.
Fairytale Group 1995-2001
* Participated one evening each fortnight over six years with group of women writers, film-makers, poets, academics
psychotherapist - reading, discussion and activities related to story, taking turns at leading; also a storytelling to this
Story Women -
* Set up a group of women with an abiding interest in story. Told traditional and personal stories, and led workshops;
10 meetings for half-day storytellings and workshops 1999-2000.
* Evolved to become the Storying Group -- men and women meeting eight times for storytellings and
Storytelling Soirées -- for audience of professional storytellers and friends:
* Brisbane 1998
* Sydney 1999-2003 (six soirées)
* Sydney 2004
* Exhibitions of photos in group exhibitions in Tilley’s, Canberra, and in foyer of Canberra Theatre, 1984 and 1987.
* Folios of Photographic works: Brewarrina Aborigines; Catholic Schools Canberra/ Goulburn Archdiocese.
* Paper: An Artist-in-Residence Program - Nexus of Art, Education, Religion, Politics. presented at
National Curriculum Studies Conference, Macquarie University.
* Paper: Using Photography to Document and Evaluate Educational Programmes, presented at the
Australian Curriculum Studies Association Conference, Melbourne.
* Paper: Creative Response to Parenting after Separation, Paper presented at the Conference on
Parenting after Separation - Alternative Patterns of Child Care, published in Conference Papers.
* Paper: Multi-Arts and Learning Processes, presented at the Curriculum Development Centre's National Core
Curriculum Conference, Canberra.
* Paper: The Curriculum Development Centre's Multi-Arts Project - Concept and Implementation,
with 40 hand-drawn cartoon overhead transparencies presented to National Conference of Arts Educators
* Workshops: Exploration Creativity - a course for TAFE Child Care Students.
* Summer School: Exploration Creativity - for the ACT Arts Council; a series of workshops in arts media --
movement, writing, visual.
* Paper: An Australian Perspective: The Curriculum Development Centre's Multi-Arts Project,
presented to International Congress of Arts Educators, Adelaide.
* Workshop Course: Exploration Creativity - a series of 14 workshops run in Canberra independently.
* Workshop: So You Want to Run a Writing Workshop? - through the NSW Writers' Centre,
Rozelle - an experiential workshop for writers who wish to run workshops.
RETURN TO TOP